North Dakota State University
Job Listing URL: (new browser window will open)
$70,000 and above
The Director reports to the Vice President for Finance and Administration and is responsible for providing leadership and management to the Office of Human Resources and Payroll; managing strategic Human Resources/Payroll and compliance for the University; conducting employee relations, and overseeing the Center for Child Development.
Screening will begin 12/26/18
As an employer, the State of North Dakota prohibits smoking in all places of state employment in accordance with N.D.C.C. § 23-12-10.
North Dakota State University is an Equal Opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, gender expression/identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, participation in lawful off-campus activity, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, public assistance status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, spousal relationship to current employee, or veteran status, as applicable.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university in a field or subject area that relates to the skills, knowledge and abilities required for the position duties and responsibilities
• Five (5) years of progressively responsible experience and demonstrated accomplishment in employee relations/human resource management at/for a large, dynamic organization
• Demonstrated skill in leadership, visionary thinking, and strategic planning
• Proven experience in analyzing, interpreting and ensuring compliance with federal and state laws, regulations, and policies impacting human resource administration
o Ability to manage complex policy issues in employment-related areas
o Experience with government/regulatory compliance, unemployment compensation and oversight, human resources law and regulatory provisions, such as FLSA and other DOL regulations, workers compensation, payroll taxes and garnishments, IRC, COBRA, EEOC, ADA, USERRA, ERISA
• Superb communications and interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to:
o Communicate effectively with a full range of internal and external colleagues and constituencies, including faculty, staff and students
o Clearly and effectively lead strategies for organizational development, recruitment, training, retention, compensation, and benefits, as well as communicating complex information and administrative policies to a wide range of individuals and organizations internal and external to the University
o Demonstrated skill in negotiation, conflict management, and change management
o Strong personal and professional commitment to building and maintaining a diverse and inclusive workforce and a demonstrated ability to work effectively with individuals with diverse backgrounds and groups representing numerous perspectives and interest
o Commitment to the highest ethical and professional standards of conduct
o Strong listening and communication skills; a presence that earns trust, confidence and respect; and the ability to lead by influence and example
• Ability to multi-task and see overlapping projects through to completion in a manner that properly delegates responsibilities and maximizes contributions of direct reports and departmental staff
• Strong analytical and critical thinking, project management, organizational, and problem recognition and resolution skills
• Strong administrative skills including planning, budgeting, resource management, etc.
• Ability to lead an effective, efficient business operation and deploying a highly motivated team of professionals focused on client centered strategic, consultative and customized support
• Advanced degree or Juris Doctorate (J.D.) with specialization in higher education and/or employment law
• Professional certification(s) in human resource field
• Experience in/knowledge of public sector or higher education environment and the proven ability to manage effectively within them