Burleigh County Human Resources
316 N 5th St, Ste 106, Bismarck, ND 58501
Web Site: (new browser window will open)
Job Listing URL: (new browser window will open)
$64459 - $71822
• Supervising the nursing staff, including hiring, training, scheduling, policy enforcement and performance management.
• Delegate as allowed under the Nurse Practice Act.
• Ability to interact with high-risk inmates within the Detention Center on a one on one basis with no Detention officer present.
• Assists in managing the jail programs and case management of inmate care by assessing, developing, implementing, organizing and re-evaluating services. Utilizes effective communication skills. Is knowledgeable of a referral system. Assists with maintaining pertinent data and documentation. May assist inmates with accessing medical, psychosocial, and related care. Provides ongoing analysis for quality of services to improve outcomes, making appropriate changes as necessary. Programs and care are managed in accordance with agency, local, state, and federal mandates and Burleigh County Detention Center policies and procedures.
• Review reports of medical incidents within the facility regarding inmates or employees. Gather and summarize data for correspondence to the Sheriff’s Department and other entities.
• Provides nursing services, treatments and diagnostic and preventive procedures appropriate for inmate care and safety; interprets physicians’ orders; administers prescribed medication; applies surgical dressings and bandages; provides emergency first aid care; checks and records vital signs; instructs inmates concerning discharge planning; observes signs and symptoms during sick call; reports reactions to treatments and medications as well as changes in the inmates’ emotional or physical condition
• Serving as a liaison with other divisions, medical providers, attorneys, inmate families, and outside officials regarding the medical care of the inmate populations.
• Oversee the ordering, distributing, verifying and security of medications in the detention center. Provide for clinic maintenance of supplies and equipment.
• Plan, organize, and implement program changes in the medical unit as required.
• Assisting in the preparation of the nursing unit budget as related to staff, equipment and supply needs.
• Assist with department wide planning and program development as well as discussions on policies and procedures that affect the nursing unit.
• Maintains accurate medical records of inmates in the Detention Center.
• Respond to emergencies throughout the facility; injury and illness; performs CPR when needed.
• Perform crisis intervention functions, suicide prevention, recognizing abnormal behavior and taking appropriate action.
• Refer to or consult with other health providers in person and on the phone.
1. Must be U S Citizen, 18 years of age or older; high school graduate or GED certified. Must have a Bachelor’s degree (BSN) from an Accredited School of Nursing.
2. Must have five years of supervisory experience in a medical environment.
3. Preference to those who have at least two years of nursing experience in a correctional facility.
4. Must have a current ND RN unencumbered License.
5. Must possess valid driver’s license.
6. Successful completion of the interview process, reference checks, required to pass a physical and psychological exam, drug screen, and standard background and criminal record checks to determine knowledge, skill, and abilities to perform Jail Nurse Supervisor duties and responsibilities.