Burleigh County Human Resources
316 N 5th St, Ste 106, Bismarck, ND 58501
Web Site: (new browser window will open)
Job Listing URL: (new browser window will open)
$70,000 and above
Job Summary: Performs management, supervisory and administrative functions and operations of the Building/Planning/Zoning Department. Serves as Planning Director and Building Official and is responsible for ensuring compliance and interpreting technical construction codes and ordinances, rules and regulations, and overseeing the inspection of property for public safety purposes to comply with such rules and regulations. Serves as Flood Plain Administrator for Burleigh County, by overseeing adherence to state and federal guidelines. Serves as Zoning Administrator by developing, implementing and interpreting operating policies and procedures for effective zoning enforcement. Oversees adherence to the County addressing system.
•Must have a Bachelor’s degree in planning, public administration, management or a closely related field. A minimum of four years of professional experience in planning, and land use regulation or four years of experience in building inspections or the construction trades. Certification as a Building Official is required within one year of appointment.
• Must have computer skills to include a proficiency in MS Office products.
• Must possess a valid Class D North Dakota driver’s license with a clean driving record.
• Must have the ability to read and interpret plans, specifications and ordinances and be skilled at written and verbal communications dealing with technical subjects.
• Must have reasonable interpersonal communication skills and be able to interact with fellow employees, professional staff, contractors, and the general public.
• Must have experience/knowledge of governmental structure and operations.
• Must have a geographic knowledge of Burleigh County.