Montana-Dakota Utilities Co.
400 N 4th St. Bismarck ND 58501
Web Site: (new browser window will open)
$70,000 and above
Responsible for planning, directing, implementing, administering, reporting, and controlling the General Accounting function. This includes establishing department goals, setting individual objectives for staff, maintaining, administering and providing leadership to all companies within the MDU utility group for accounting policies and procedures in accordance with GAAP and Sarbanes-Oxley to ensure the recording and integrity of cash disbursements, miscellaneous billing, expense, or other financial transactions and preparing reports for internal and external use. Manages the enhancement of existing computerized accounting information systems and assists in the development of future accounting information systems. Responsible for placing safety as #1 priority in day to day work routine for self and others.
1. Manages and provides oversight to the General Accounting Department personnel performing the essential functions of preparing, validating, controlling, verifying, and processing miscellaneous billing, cash receipts, cash disbursement, and other financial transactions in accordance with internal policies, GAAP and FERC regulations to ensure a timely and accurate monthly financial close for Montana-Dakota Utilities Co. Process owner for Sarbanes-Oxley compliance.
2. Collaborate with other departments and holding companies and provide leadership to other operating companies within the utility group on the design, enhancement, documentation, and implementation of the financial ERP system, the PCAD software, the TurboCC application and the Tungsten workflow software.
3. Directs, advises, and counsels internal customers concerning application, documentation, and recording of financial transactions in accordance with existing company policies, GAAP and FERC regulations.
4. Provides guidance and business unit support to corporate staff on initiatives that enhance the strategic goals of the enterprise
5. Manages and assists in the development and enhancement of accounting policies, procedures, and the related documentation.
6. Manages, trains, and develops the department personnel to effectively and efficiently complete job and departmental responsibilities while striving to provide a safe, clean, and enjoyable work environment.
7. Manages and assists in the coordination of the annual inventory cycle count process and the calculation of the inventory loss provision.
8. Provides oversight and assists in the time study process for the calculation of standard labor distributions for employees
9. Supervises the reconciliation of general ledger and subsidiary ledger accounts.
10. Manages the process of reporting unclaimed property for Montana-Dakota Utilities Co./Great Plains Natural Gas Co. to the Accounts Payable Shared Services department and reconciling of the liability to detailed records.
11. Manages, delegates, or prepares reports, filings, and data requests for internal and external customers including, but not limited to annual regulatory reports, rate cases, financial, operational, or tax audits, and annual financing filings.
12. Establish and maintain effective relationships within the organization and with external customers, including auditors.
13. Performs other tasks and special projects as assigned.
• Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business
• Seven years’ experience in a general accounting function
• Five years’ relational database experience
• Prior supervisory or leadership experience
• Certified Public Accountant
• Two years supervisory experience
• General Accounting experience
• JD Edwards knowledge
• May be required to maintain a valid driver’s license.
• Must be legally authorized to work in the United States, no sponsorships considered.
• Subject to pre-employment drug testing and background checks.
Apply online at