Bismarck State College
PO Box 5587
Web Site: (new browser window will open)
Job Listing URL: (new browser window will open)
$50,000 - $69,999
OPENING DATE: 10/28/2019
CLOSING DATE: 11/11/2019
STARTING DATE: To be determined
COMPENSATION: $50,000 + based on directly related experience. May be eligible for a salary increase after six months. Paid health insurance, life insurance, retirement, employee tuition waiver, spouse/dependent tuition discount. Click here for full employee benefits.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Core work hours are M-F 7:00 am to 4:00 pm. May require occasional weekend or evening shifts. Hours may be adjusted based on the needs of the department.
Directly accountable and responsible to the Chief Buildings and Grounds Officer.
1. Responsible for supervising custodial work and services required for cleaning and maintaining buildings and equipment in accordance with established standards.
2. Responsible for training, supervising, and evaluating custodians and Assistant Custodian Supervisor.
Provides supervision to custodial staff – 65%
1. Supervises and directs the custodial staff’s work.
2. Supervises the cleaning of campus buildings.
3. Inspects all assigned areas to ensure work is being carried out properly and orderly.
4. Works very closely with the Assistant Custodian Supervisor and the Chief Buildings and Grounds Officer in communicating effectively about the cleanliness of the buildings, any employee problems, how the department is operating in general, etc.
5. Inspects designated buildings, and equipment for proper sanitation, safety, cleanliness, security, and needed maintenance and improvement.
6. Maintains required records, reports and employee P Cards.
7. Develops and maintains daily and weekend schedules for custodial staff.
Provides trainings to custodial staff – 15%
8. Trains custodial staff on proper cleaning procedures and proper chemical usage.
9. Provides ongoing safety training to custodial staff.
10. Conducts regular department meetings with staff and reviews college policies as appropriate.
Assists with cleaning of buildings – 10%
11. Assists, when needed, with cleaning buildings which includes sweeping, dusting, waxing, buffing, vacuuming, etc.
12. Performs building and equipment maintenance and repair duties when necessary.
13. Participates in the set-up of special events.
Manages the ordering and distribution of custodial supplies and equipment – 5%
14. Maintains an adequate inventory of custodial supplies and the organization of the supply room.
15. Orders and distributes supplies, which includes preparing and distributing invoices for supplies used for the dorms.
16. Recommends major equipment purchases to the Chief Buildings and Grounds Officer.
Miscellaneous duties – 5%
17. Promotes innovation, creativity and ideas to improve/enhance processes, functions, etc. in the department and as a whole for the college while focusing on innovation at a flat level and fostering a culture of no fear for innovative practices whether implemented or not.
18. Performs other duties as required or assigned.
• High school diploma or GED and five years of related experience.
• Management and supervisory experience.
• Excellent verbal and interpersonal skills.
• Strong organizational skills, with the ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
• Ability to perform cleaning work including the operation of buffers, extractors, vacuums, and other custodial equipment.
• Knowledge of the materials, equipment and methods used in the cleaning and upkeep of buildings.
• Ability to follow communicated instructions and to work independently after instructions.
• Basic computer software skills – email and electronic calendar (Outlook).
• Must have a current valid driver’s license.
• Weekend work may be needed.
• Required to wear uniforms provided by the college while on duty.
• Must observe established safety practices and procedures in working with chemicals, materials and equipment.
• More than three years of supervisory related experience.
APPLICATION INFORMATION & DEADLINE:
Completed applications must be fully submitted by 5:00 pm on November 11, 2019.
To apply, click the Apply button at the top of the page. To be considered by the search committee, applications must include: online application and upload a cover letter and resume. Paper applications will not be accepted. (NOTE: Incomplete files will NOT be considered.)
For more information or assistance contact: Human Resources (701) 224-5531. This position requires a criminal history record check.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Human Resources*Meadowlark Building*PO Box 5587*1700 Schafer St.*Bismarck, ND 58506-5587
701-224-5531*800-366-6888 (TTY Relay ND)
Veterans claiming preference must submit all proof of eligibility by the closing date. Proof of eligibility includes a DD-214 and if claiming disabled status, a current letter of disability from the VA dated within the last 12 months.
BSC determines employment eligibility through the E-Verify system.
It is generally not BSC's policy to accept a candidate who lacks permanent authorization to work in the U.S.
Human Resources: 701-224-5531 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.