Burleigh County Human Resources
316 N 5th St, Ste 106, Bismarck, ND 58501
Web Site: (new browser window will open)
Job Listing URL: (new browser window will open)
$73,000 - $82,000
Job Summary: Under supervision of the Sheriff/Detention Administrator, is responsible for assisting in planning and administering the activities of the department and overseeing the qualification records of department employees. The Detention Officer-Major will perform routine tasks in accordance with North Dakota law, rules and regulations established by the Attorney General of North Dakota and Burleigh County Sheriff’s Department and Burleigh-Morton Detention Center policies.
•Requires a Bachelor’s degree or Associate’s degree and National Academy graduate (FBI Academy / NW Staff and Command).
• Requires twelve (12) years of corrections experience or twelve (12) years of law enforcement (sworn) experience or twelve (12) years of combined corrections and law enforcement (sworn) experience.
• Ability to obtain POST certification within 12 months of employment start date.
• Requires eight (8) years of supervisory experience.
• Must have attended a nationally recognized management/leadership course of at least three (3) weeks in duration.
• Must be able to pass a written, oral, and/or scenario-based examinations/interview.
• Must meet all job qualifications, experience and education requirements listed on the job description for a Detention Officer and a Deputy Sheriff with Burleigh County.
• Must have extensive knowledge of law enforcement methods, administration, controlling laws or ordinances and department policy; must have the ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions; prepare written reports.
• Must possess the ability to be dependable and use good judgment.