Bismarck State College
PO Box 5587
Web Site: (new browser window will open)
Job Listing URL: (new browser window will open)
$30,000 - $49,999
PAYROLL COORDINATOR, 00012591
OPENING DATE: 2/07/2020
CLOSING DATE: Applications received by February 23, 2020 will be given first consideration. Open until filled.
STARTING DATE: TBD
COMPENSATION: $36,000 + based on directly related experience. May be eligible for a salary increase after six months. Paid health insurance, life insurance, retirement, employee tuition waiver, spouse/dependent tuition discount.
Responsible for providing technical support services for payroll.
Is directly accountable and responsible to the Payroll Manager.
1. Assists the Payroll Manager with the semi-monthly payroll process and off cycle processing when needed.
2. Serves as backup in the Payroll Manager’s absence.
3. Enters and maintains payroll changes and updates using PeopleSoft payroll module.
4. Reviews payroll data for accuracy and completeness. Performs the reconciliation of gross earnings process each semi-monthly pay period.
5. Produces the AP Voucher Summary semi-monthly and submits it to the Accounting Department.
6. Submits the semi-monthly 941 tax deposit after completing the semi-monthly Tax Reconciliation.
7. Reports work study payroll to the Financial Aid office.
8. Processes and coordinates the Time Labor and Absence Management (TLAB) payroll module and assists employees and supervisors with questions.
9. Assists with monitoring reconciliation of system files to validate payrolls and balances the payroll accounts by resolving payroll discrepancies.
10. Scans and links employee payroll files. Verifies Payroll Workflow as needed and assists in routing in the HRP Workflow and serves as a Power User.
11. Maintains and tracks the out of state employee reporting for Workforce Safety Insurance and verifies annual Workers Comp report.
12. Runs PeopleSoft queries/reports as needed, including semi-monthly distribution to supervisors.
13. Provides technical and general assistance on payroll issues for managers, supervisors and employees.
New Hire/Termination Duties – 40%
14. Meets with new employees, explains new hire process through Manager Self Service and network account information, and enters new employees in PeopleSoft, OneCard, ASI Flex, AFLAC, TDA, TIAA.
15. Meets with new benefited employees to review the benefit package and enrollment process. Provides technical assistance to new benefited employees throughout the benefit and retirement plan enrollment process. Assembles new hire benefit packet materials based on qualified benefits for the position.
16. Assists in training employees and handling questions on the use of the self-service portals and the Time Labor and Absence Management module.
17. Verifies a new employee’s previous service with state agencies and or previous participation in qualified retirement plans.
18. Maintains and updates employee information in PERSLink for the ND Public Retirement System for health, life, EAP, vision and dental insurance as well as NDPERS retirement, deferred comp and the Health Savings Account
19. Prepares the termination packet and prepares the termination memo for all benefited terminations.
20. Submits termination paperwork and terms the employee in the various systems: NDPERS, OneCard, ASI Flex, AFLAC, TDA.
21. Provides assistance to and answers questions from terminated employees.
22. Calculates leave payout for terminated benefitted employees.
Human Resources/General Duties – 20%
23. Coordinates and maintains the staff sick leave, Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Leave Sharing Program, Return to Work, and Infant at Work processes, communications and tracking in conjunction with the HR Manager.
24. Completes employment verifications and housing assistance forms.
25. Keeps the Payroll Accountant and Chief informed and up-to-date on payroll functions.
26. Serves as backup in creating new positions in PeopleSoft.
27. Checks on the status of criminal history background checks and assists with the process for part-time hires (excluding adjuncts) (i.e. ensuring compliance with appropriate BSC and NDUS policies, maintaining the records and ensuring the security of the results).
28. Assists with conducting HR employee orientations.
29. Performs general office support duties: copying, faxing, proofreading, filing, labels, letters, CORE Portal updates, etc.
30. Provides office coverage, answers telephones, greets visitors, responds to inquiries, etc.
31. Opens mail, distributes information/mailings in Payroll.
32. Serves on campus committees/sub-committees as needed.
33. Supports innovation, creativity and ideas to improve/enhance processes, functions, etc. in the department and as a whole for the college.
34. Performs other duties as assigned.
• Appropriate associate degree and two years of related payroll and/or accounting experience.
• Proficient in working knowledge of computer software programs (i.e., Microsoft Word, Excel and Access, email and electronic calendar, etc.) and excellent keyboard skills.
• Ability to work effectively with a team as well as independently.
• Good working knowledge of office procedures, technical and analytical skills.
• Excellent customer service skills, interpersonal skills and common courtesy in working with employees, students, and the public.
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to details and accuracy.
• Disciplined and able to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
• Knowledge of Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) regulations.
• Must be eligible to be a certified Notary Public.
• Appropriate bachelor’s degree.
• More than two years of directly related experience.
• Certified in Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) compliance.
• Experience with PeopleSoft software.
APPLICATION INFORMATION & DEADLINE:
Applications received by February 23, 2020 will be given first consideration. Open until filled.
To apply, click the Apply button at the top of the job opening page. To be considered by the search committee, applications must include: online application and upload a cover letter and resume. Paper applications will not be accepted. (NOTE: Incomplete files will NOT be considered.)
Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Bismarck State College does not provide sponsorships. BSC determines employment eligibility through the E-Verify system.
For more information or assistance contact: Human Resources (701) 224-5531. This position requires a criminal history record check.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Human Resources*Meadowlark Building*PO Box 5587*1700 Schafer St.*Bismarck, ND 58506-5587
701-224-5531*800-366-6888 (TTY Relay ND)
Veterans claiming preference must submit all proof of eligibility by the closing date. Proof of eligibility includes a DD-214 and if claiming disabled status, a current letter of disability from the VA dated within the last 12 months.
Human Resources at 701-224-5531 or email: email@example.com.