Valley City State University
101 College St SW; Valley City, ND 58072
Web Site: (new browser window will open)
Job Listing URL: (new browser window will open)
$30,000 - $49,999
Valley City, ND
The Department of Mathematics at Valley City State University is seeking a full-time tenure-track mathematics faculty position for the 2021-2022 academic year (beginning August 16, 2021).
The candidate selected will be expected to teach both face-to-face courses on the VCSU campus and online asynchronous courses via distance delivery technology.
The primary responsibility of this position will be to teach undergraduate mathematics courses in the VCSU Mathematics and Mathematics Education degree programs, as well as the VCSU General Education program.
Undergraduate courses to be taught may include but are not limited to: Finite Math; Precalculus; Elementary Statistics; Calculus I, II, & III; Discrete Math; Intro to Differential Equations; Modern Geometry; Applied Probability & Statistics; Linear Algebra & Matrices; Abstract Algebra; History & Philosophy of Math; Real Analysis.
Graduate courses to be taught in VCSU’s M.Ed. program for teachers (mathematics option) may include but are not limited to: History & Philosophy of Mathematics for Teachers; Algebra for Teachers; Geometry for Teachers; Probability & Statistics for Teachers; Calculus for Teachers.
The successful candidate will also provide academic advising for students; maintain and update course/program curricular content; engage in departmental assessment and recruiting efforts; serve on campus committees; and perform other activities as needed.
Other duties may include:
• Development and/or teaching of online mathematics courses.
• Engaging in appropriate service in the department, university, and academic community.
• Participating in professional development in mathematics pedagogy, staying current with relevant course content, and working to improve student learning and engagement.
• Teaching mathematics coursework in the VCSU Elementary Education program and/or VCSU Graduate School.
The salary for this position is commensurate with qualifications and experience, typically starting at $46,000 annually (assistant professor rank). VCSU offers a comprehensive benefits package, including employer paid full family health insurance coverage, as well as TIAA retirement, tuition assistance, and much more. For more information, visit our Employee Benefits page. This position is a 9-month, full-time position. In some cases, summer duties may be arranged through an additional contract for additional compensation.
Submit all required materials online, including a cover letter, curriculum vitae (CV), contact information for three references, and unofficial copies of your transcripts. Reference letters will be solicited automatically from the references you list via email, for finalists only. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that correct email addresses are submitted for each of the three required references. Deadline for full consideration is May 20, 2021. Apply online: www.vcsu.edu/jobs.
University and Community:
Recognized as a “Best College” by U.S. News for the past 23 years, VCSU offers one of the best academic values in the Midwest. VCSU was founded as a teacher’s college in 1890, earning a prestigious reputation for producing some of the best educators in the area. Since then, VCSU’s undergraduate offerings have continued to grow and now include a range of programs. VCSU offers more than 80 undergraduate programs in art, business, communication arts, computer systems and software engineering, education, health and physical education, language and literature, mathematics, music, science, social science, and technology education. Online Master of Education and Masters of the Arts in Teaching degree programs are also available.
The 55-acre campus, one of the most attractive in North Dakota, is bordered on the south by a forested hillside and on the north by the Sheyenne River. Campus architecture features a graceful blend of historic and modern buildings. The entire campus is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a Historic District. VCSU is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC), the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE), and the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM). The university is located in the southeastern part of the state in the city from which the institution takes its name. Valley City has a population of approximately 6,500 and is located 60 miles west of Fargo on Interstate 94, making the campus easily accessible both from the east and west. The location of the community lends itself to cultural and recreational activities, and the newly constructed Gaukler Wellness Center offers a variety of services to members.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Valley City State University encourages applications from minorities, women, and disabled persons, and pledges not to discriminate with respect to color, nation of origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, status due to receipt of public assistance, or disability as specified in Federal Regulations. Preference will be given to candidates able to demonstrate eligibility to work in the United States. This position is subject to North Dakota Veteran's Preference procedure. A criminal background check will be conducted on all faculty hires. Visa sponsorship for employment is not available for this position.
• A master’s degree in Mathematics.
• Ability to fluently utilize distance education technology (e.g., cameras, microphones, digital tablets, software, etc.) for mathematics instruction.
• Ability to work with others in a collegial and collaborative manner.
• Doctorate degree in Mathematics.
• Prior experience in teaching at the university-level.
• Prior experience in teaching online coursework.
• Demonstrated proficiency with the use of mathematics classroom instruction software (e.g., Desmos, GeoGebra, Mathematica, Wolfram Alpha, Maple, MATLAB, etc.)
• Demonstrated proficiency with the use of distance education technology in the classroom and experience teaching in the online format using a Learning Management System (LMS) such as Blackboard or Moodle.
• Experience in academic advising of students.
• Experience with student recruitment efforts and/or activities.
• Experience giving professional development presentations or record of published research.
Direct inquiries about the position to Search Committee Chair Dr. Jamie Wirth. Email: email@example.com. Phone: 701-845-7734. For accommodation or assistance in the application or interview process, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions about the status of your application or reference letters, please email email@example.com.