Bismarck State College
PO Box 5587
Web Site: (new browser window will open)
Job Listing URL: (new browser window will open)
$30,000 - $49,999
Day Food Service Worker (core work hours are 7:30 am to 4 pm. Also required to work rotating weekends and occasionally split shifts – 2 days per month average). Hours may be adjusted based on the needs of the department.
OVERVIEW: Bismarck State College is dedicated to student success. This on campus position is student-centered to provide high quality campus services and hands-on learning experiences.
Is directly accountable and responsible to the Day Supervisor/Cook.
1. Responsible for cooking and preparing food on a large-scale.
COMPENSATION: Hourly wage based on directly related experience. May be eligible for a salary increase after six months. Paid health insurance, life insurance, retirement, employee tuition waiver, spouse/dependent tuition discount.
Position Description & Details:
Prepares and cooks food as required by menus – 60%
1. Prepares, seasons and cooks food according to recipe and/or experience as required by menus and has it ready to be served at a specified time.
2. Assists other cooks during rush periods.
3. Operates standard cooking equipment such as mixing machines, fryers, grills, slicers, food choppers, ovens; assists in cleaning cooking equipment and the work area.
4. Cooks for and assists with banquets, special dinners, or events with preparation, serving, and cleanup.
Inspects and maintains cooking area and serving stations – 35%
5. Ensures that all food is put away, dated, and labeled and kitchen is cleaned up.
6. Inspects food prep and serving areas to ensure safe and sanitary food-handling practices, keeping serving line clean at all times.
7. Keeps kitchen and serving stations equipped with necessary supplies.
8. Maintains serving stations at proper temperature.
9. Follows sanitation and HACCP programs; including but not limited to documenting food and serving temperatures; hot and cold.
10. Ensures all sanitation, safety and security rules are being followed and maintained.
Miscellaneous duties – 5%
11. Provides positive guest interactions while serving guests in a friendly and efficient manner by making them feel welcome, comfortable, important and relaxed.
12. Maintains prescribed personal appearance.
13. Supports innovation, creativity and ideas to improve/enhance processes, functions, etc. in the department and as a whole for the college.
14. Performs any other duties as required or assigned.
Requires high school diploma or GED.
Two years of large-scale cooking experience.
Ability to follow communicated instructions and to work independently after instructions.
Working knowledge of the methods of cooking and preparing foods.
Must observe established health and safety requirements of a food service operation.
Good interpersonal skills and common courtesy in working relationships with students, employees and the public.
Basic computer skills – email and electronic calendar (Outlook).
Requires some weekend hours.
Associate degree in food preparation from a community college.
More than two years of directly related experience.
Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Bismarck State College does not provide sponsorships. BSC is an E-Verify Employer.
For more information or assistance contact: Human Resources (701) 224-5531. This position requires a criminal history record check.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Human Resources*Meadowlark Building*PO Box 5587*1700 Schafer St.*Bismarck, ND 58506-5587
701-224-5531*800-366-6888 (TTY Relay ND)